Living life through a pandemic has become the new norm. We all are playing by the rules and bathing twice, incessantly washing our hands, sanitizing every surface in the house, wearing a mask and making sanitizers our best friends. But are we all taking the time to disinfect our groceries that come in from outside? If not, here is why you should be doing so!
As we all know it, COVID-19 is a type of virus that has a shelf life of various hours depending on the surface it touches. For example, the virus sticks around for approximately 72 hours on metal and plastic surfaces, whereas around 24 hours on clothes, paper and cardboard material. With all these materials present everywhere, it becomes extremely difficult to manage to keep the virus away! Thus, it is extremely important to indulge in a thorough sanitisation process of all your groceries, may it be vegetables & fruits or packet food from your local or branded store.
How To Disinfect Groceries?
- Firstly, it is advisable to station a large-sized waste-bin outside the house where you can empty all the carry-bags (plastic) or cardboard boxes in which the groceries have been packed!
- Secondly, once you have removed all the items from their packing – place them on the ground so that you can easily mop the floors when you are done.
- Thirdly, generously spend time and sanitize each item with an alcohol-based sanitizer spray or gel or liquid. As for fruits and veggies, dip them in warm water along with a veggie wash for 10-20 minutes and then scrub as much as you can. Air dry them and continue to refrigerate them.
- Another important tip to keep in mind is opting for cashless payments where you can avoid touching money notes and coins. Money is the highest germ carrying item and should be avoided as much as possible.
- Since we all are mobile phone addicts and usually have our market lists in them, it is imperative to clean your mobile phones and their cover with a sanitising spray since we use them continuously and then eat and drink with our bare hands.
- Make sure to thoroughly wash your hands with soap and water for more than 20-30 seconds and preferably have a shower once you have come from outside.
COVID-19 is here to stay and thus it is us who has to maneuver our life according to it. We need to remain safe by keeping ourselves clean, our homes spik and span, save water but never avoid indulging in cleanliness which is a top priority as we live in a pandemic and our health is what we need to take care of!