In Conversation with Rima & Rashi, the sister duo behind Oceana Clutches
- We absolutely love your sister pairing! Tell us a little about both of you and your previous working experience?
We are accidental entrepreneurs; this was never the plan but it worked out really well for us. Rima is a commercial artist and Rashi has done a double master’s in marketing from London. Rima looks into the creative part while Rashi looks into the management part.
- Stylish bags are an absolute necessity! How was the idea of ‘Oceana Clutches’ born?
The opportunity fell into our lap so we decided to do something amazing and took up a crash course in Milan where we learned the designing of sustainable fashion and in the bargain, we started channelizing our creativity. After some major persuasion from friends and family, we took it up professionally.
- We see that your products are quirky, fun and usable by all age-groups. We are in love with the themes like Confetti, Glitterati & Unicorn! Tell us the story and concept behind these themes and how are they different from one another?
We wanted to create a luxury brand at an affordable price and something that can be enjoyed by all age brackets. Thus, we created these evergreen classic pieces which are versatile and personalized to its last detail in order to match the style of each of our customers. We also try to bridge the gap between upcoming trends and sustainability. Therefore, we offer pieces that have vegan leather and cater to handloom organic wristlets. These bags can comfortably be used for brunches and kitty parties or an afternoon with your girlfriends! The bling and glitter make sure to enhance any outfit that you wear and can also be used for parties and a night look. We have made sure that all these pieces are fashion statements available at affordable prices.
- Who is the target audience of Oceana Clutches?
We cater to all age groups roughly between 20 years – 50 years. Our clientele boasts of Bollywood A-listers such as Shilpa Shetty, Lara Dutta, Shweta Bachchan, Alia Bhatt, Sara Ali Khan and Ananya Panday. Even the A-lister bloggers such as Massoom Minawala, Larissa D’sa, Simran Luthria are a part of our kitty. Moving on to A-lister television actors like Hina Khan, Ishita Dutta, Erica Fernandes and Tanvi Thakkker and socialites like Jaya Raheja and Pinky Reddy and professionals like Dr. Anjali Chhabria (acclaimed psychologist), Dr. Sheetal Sabharwal (acclaimed obstetrician), Vishakha Chowdhry (celebrity architect) and Priya Dutt (social worker) have happily flaunted our bags and they inspire all women across the globe to buy one for themselves and gift their loved ones like a bridesmaid, their sisters, their best friends the chance to own an Oceana product!
- Tell us a little about how your raw materials are sourced, what is the quality quotient and a little about how you can style them with various attires?
Being a partially eco-friendly brand, we use materials right from plant leather, vegan leather, organic cotton and resin.
These bags can be styled in multiple ways catering today’s looks that include brunch parties and elaborate lunch celebrations as well as a light evening coffee to a night out with friends or a fancy dinner date to a party night out. We also have a line of travel totes which go very well with the trend of airport attire. Moreover, we also have our Batwa’s which are massively used by brides and for wedding favors which can also be styled in an Indo-western way with our vegan belts.
- Hand-made designs sourced from raw materials of high-quality and made from Indian rural artisans are an absolute YES! How do you manage to create an affordable standard for your line of products?
Oceana Clutches is a home-grown luxury brand. From sourcing for raw materials to manufacturing onwards to the last packaging, everything is done in India, at Oceana. Truly being vocal for local, we promote the skills of the rural artisans by keeping our products completely handmade. Since our plan has always been at rolling out an affordable luxury brand – our focus has remained on how we plan our production! We ensure that our Indian culture, heritage and workmanship is represented and shown in our products while tweaking it with a western touch to keep up with the current trends. We’re always ready to experiment with our designs in order to bring out the quirkiness.
- Would you mind sharing your financial investment and the turnover that you have earned through the brand’s career?
We have a long way to go, this is just the beginning and we’re exploring a lot of things so sharing the statistics will honestly be a little too early.
- A start-up / small or big business can be majorly successful or dauntingly unsuccessful. How did you decide to take the plunge and chose to start your own business?
Rashi: “Unless you take the plunge you’ll never know! If you put in your 100%, it will surely farewell! Start-ups can do really well and there is just so much you can do by venturing into new creative ideas and dimensions that can be executed for your brand! As a new brand, we have faced our fair share of challenges but the key is to keep going and find a solution to every problem”. Every problem-solving skill is developed in a creative field of work and we have thoroughly enjoyed our journey by making sure we pass through every obstacle and come out fresh each time with a brighter future.
- What is the plan ahead for Oceana Clutches in terms of growth, investment, new products, etc.?
As of now we are catering to clients across the world and want to be an online and offline store with maximum visibility in India and globally!
- Would you like to share some advice to budding start-ups or to someone that has a business idea and is contemplating it?
Rashi:” If you find something that interests you or something that you’re passionate about, just dive into it! When your passion becomes your work, it’s just fabulous”